Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls


Oh me, oh my, how have I never made my favorite food? Cinnamon rolls. Actually, I'm not sure what my favorite food is, but if I was only allowed to eat one food for the rest of my life...cinnamon rolls would be in the top three, along with chips & queso, and I'm not sure what else. But enough about islands, unless you're about to offer me a vacation for finishing grad school. (!!!!)

Yes, friends, today I presented my research to professional social workers, counselors, psychologists, professors and peers. And I think it went pretty well. More importantly, though, it was my LAST AND FINAL requirement to complete both master's. I'll have some extra letters added to the end of my name, but who cares? I have made cinnamon rolls from scratch. Oh, and I have worked my butt off and have been reminded of the amazing support system around me (you know who you are). I would rattle off these people who deserve gold stars, but it would start with God, continue with family and the dearest friends, and end somewhere with my favorite 2nd grade teacher (Mrs. Gunther) and cinnamon rolls. So let's skip the acceptance/thank you speech and get straight to the cinnamon rolls. (Oh, and by the way, I would easily be 10 pounds lighter if it weren't for the gooey sweet cinnamon-y jewels. Just sayin'. That's why these are definitely a lower fat/sugar version of the store-bought treats. Enjoy.)



Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
Barely adapted from Cooking Light, June 2007
These gooey rolls are guiltless, delicious with a cold glass of milk. If you're scared of yeast, no worries; if the rolls don't rise very much (as they didn't my first batch), they'll still taste wonderful but be a little smaller. Enjoy these jewels of cinnamon heaven.

  • Dough:
  • 1 1/2 packages dry yeast (about 3 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 3/4 cup warm fat-free milk (100° to 110°)
  • 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened 
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 t. salt 
  • 1 t. fresh lemon juice 
  • large egg + 1 egg white
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided 
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 
  • Cooking spray
  • Filling:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
  • Glaze:
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • These don't have to be neat and tidy, they have to be tasty.
  • 5 teaspoons fat-free milk

1 yeast: In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and water. Let stand 5 minutes, or until foamy. Add butter, honey, salt, lemon juice, egg & egg white, stirring well. Add 2 cups all-purpose flour & 1 1/2 cups wheat flour. Stir until dough forms, then knead for 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. (A mixer does the work well!)


2 rise up: Put the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let it rise in a warm area (80-85 degrees) until it is doubled, about an hour. Punch dough down; roll it out on a floured surface and roll into a 16X12 rectangle. Coat the dough surface with cooking spray.

3 fill&roll: Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins (optional). Sprinkle over the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges. Starting with the long edge, roll up the dough tightly. Press and pinch the end to seal. Cut the dough into 16 rolls, about 1 inch thick each. Set the rolls, cut side up, on a 13X9 baking pan coated with baking spray or with a nonstick liner. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.


4 bake: Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for 22 minutes, or until barely browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes (wait to devour--it's difficult but worth it).


5 ice,ice baby: (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) Prepare the glaze/icing by putting the vanilla and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add 5 teaspoons of milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, whisking to form a thick glaze. Drizzle over the rolls.



When you make these, celebrate whatever it is you're thankful for!

Happy eating!
Laurel

1 comment:

  1. these look yummy and I will celebrate YOU!!!
    AMAZING.......

    ReplyDelete