Friday, May 4, 2012

Veggie Omelette

Kale and carrots and zucchini, oh my!

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I get a little proud when I stand in the grocery line and notice that my row of food is much more colorful and less packaged than the person's in front of or behind me. I don't mean that in a judgmental sort of way, but I think about how much I've changed the way I eat. Granted, avoiding sugar as a major food group is always a challenge for me...but trying to cook what I eat and not rely on microwave boxes has been a really good step for me. Of course, sometimes we're too busy to even think about what to eat (nonetheless prepare our meals ahead of time), so those boxed dinners come in handy. But, instead of that being the norm, I try to make it the exception to mealtime.

Yesterday, I felt a little pride. The 8-foot-tall beautiful couple in front of me in line at the grocery store unloaded only 10 or so items. They consisted of the wine, cheese bread and cake food groups. Obviously, this was not their meal planning for the week, but probably for a romantic and relaxed night at home. But I unloaded $13 of produce (which is a TON of produce), and it looked like a rainbow had thrown up on the conveyer belt. (Sorry for the image.) It was an assortment of fruits, veggies and grains with reds, greens, yellows, oranges, and purples. Beautiful! And I was so excited, I went home and made an omelette with some of these bargain findings.


Veggie Omelette
Serves 1, or 2 with toast & fruit


3 eggs (2 eggs + 1 egg white)
Salt + pepper
Garlic powder
3 TB kale, chopped
1/2 carrot, peeled
1/3 zucchini, peeled
1/4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, mozzarella, etc. is great)
2 t. olive oil




step 1: Chop the kale and peel the carrot and zucchini. Pat the carrot and zucchini with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl until fluffy. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder (a dash/pinch of each) and stir in to the eggs. Heat a large pan/wok on medium heat, drizzling olive oil.


step 2: When the oil is hot, pour in the eggs. Turn the pan slightly to coat the bottom with the egg mixture. Let sit for 2 minutes, or until it is slightly firming on the edges. Then add half of the veggies. Let cook for 2 minutes.




step 3: Sprinkle the cheese on top and add the remaining ingredients. Using a spatula, carefully flip half of the egg circle over to form an omelette shape. Press gently with spatula to ensure that the egg and cheese are serving as glue to the veggies. Let cook for 3 more minutes, or until omelett is firm and egg appears cooked on the outside. Flip and let cook 3 more minutes.


Serve hot with toast and fruit. 


Happy eating!
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment