Saturday, April 7, 2012

Baked Oranges

Do you ever crave fruit for dessert? Me neither. But I often crave a fruit-based dessert.

You know the kind, taking a perfectly healthy gem from nature and adding sugar and cream and making it less healthy but more fantastic? I know, logic says this is foolish, but tastebuds are very happy about your tomfoolery. And, in the words of the poet DMX, "Y'all gonna make me act a fool up in here, Y'all gonna make me lose my cool up in here." I think he was talking to these baked oranges. What do you think?


Baked Oranges
This dessert is beautiful, compact and perfect for entertaining. Serve with a drizzle of chocolate or caramel, or with a scoop of ice cream on the side (vanilla or rocky road?). Best piping hot out of the oven, but can be reheated for a later indulgence. If you're hosting dinner, just stick these in the oven when you're about to eat, and they'll be ready right after!


4 servings
2 large oranges
4 TB brown sugar (light or dark)
Dash of cinnamon
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 400. Rinse oranges and slice in half. In a small dish, combine sugar and cinnamon. Peel side down, pack 1 TB of brown sugar mixture on top of each orange.

Bake for 30 minutes. Handle with tongs or oven mitts as the oranges are hot! Let cool for 5-10 min and dig in.

(optional) In a microwave-safe dish, microwave the chocolate chips in 30-second increments, stirring in-between until all chips are melted. Drizzle on top of the orange or on the plate right before serving.


I do hope this is a beautiful Saturday for you. My parents and I are having some breakfast together while Matt's at work, and then we'll hit up the Farmer's Market. Yay!


Happy eating!
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment