Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Overnight Oats



 Good morning!

Doesn't this just look like a bowl of sunshine?

I've gotta tell you, I do love oatmeal. Overnight oats is fairly new to me...I've made it a bunch of times, but cold oats take some getting used to. This recipe, however, is fabulous...I adapted it from Kath Eats Real Food and changed it for my own liking. She uses yogurt in hers (rather than lots of milk), and I prefer the pudding-like consistency. There's cherry, coconut, and a nutty mixture of flavors that make for creamy, dreamy happiness. You put your oats and liquids in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge overnight; in the morning, you add any crunchy toppings (to prevent sogginess), stir, and enjoy! No cooking, no burning your tongue, and super quick! When I want to just stay in bed all morning, this is something I can look forward to...mornings are not my best time of day.

Overnight Oats
(adapted from KERF)
*makes 2 servings (or one large)
1/2 cup whole oats
1/2 cup milk (I used almond)
1 yogurt cup (I used cherry vanilla)
1TB ground flax or 2 t chia seeds (optional)
1 TB shredded coconut
2 TB chopped pecans

In a small bowl, combine oats, milk, and yogurt. Place in fridge overnight (an hour minimum, but 7 hours allows the oats to soak up the liquids better).

In the morning, top with flax seed, coconut, and pecans. Stir. Enjoy!

Easy, right?

Enjoy your Wednesday!!


Happy eating! Laurel

1 comment: