Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pizza and Scones



Tonight involved a couple of fun recipes. Matt & I made a homemade pizza (how have I never made a crust from scratch before?)...the crust wasn't super pretty, but the pizza was DELICIOUS! I give Matt the credit. We made it up as we went (including the crust), and it turned out well. Who needs a cookbook, anyway? (Haha, I DO!!!! And I inherited the love of cookbooks from my mom and grandmother, so it only comes naturally, right?)

Here are the ingredients:

Mattycake, mattycake, baker's man...whole wheat crust,


Gigantor pepperoni, shredded mozz/asiago/parm, and Red/Green/Yellow bell peppers...Ole!,


Black olives,


FRESH rosemary,


Some garlic,


A little more mozz,


and BAM! Pizza! (425 in the oven for 15 min.)


If we left off that second layer of cheese, this would've been low fat. But with the whole wheat crust (made only with water, yeast, salt and olive oil--no butter), the fresh veggies and herbs, it turned out to be a pretty healthy meal.
(Of course, I forgot to make the salad...maybe tomorrow night.)



NOW ON TO THE SCONES...
I am a self-proclaimed lover of all things baked and sweet. I can't help it, my sweet tooth has progressed to my head, limbs, and is quickly reaching my pinky toes. I try to contain it, but sometimes the only way to express my love for buttery, sugary confections is to bake it out.

These One-Eyed Blackberry Scones were based on Tyler Florence's Orange Glazed Blueberry Scones, but I completely changed it up! So, while I give Tyler thanks for the inspiration, I received a grade of an "F" for following his recipe and an "A" for creativity and making my own up. (Ha, well, I tried at least.)




1 1/2 cups of wheat flour
1/2 cup of all-purpose white flour
1/2 t. salt
1 T baking powder
1/3 c sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 t almond extract
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 c unsalted butter (1 stick, cut with pastry blender)
3/4 cup half and half (or coffee creamer)
1 egg
1 carton blackberries



Combine dry ingredients and extract in bowl, while combining butter and egg in 2nd bowl. Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients, but not overmixing the dough.
Roll the blackberries in additional 2 T of flour; this keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baking. Roll into 2 T-increments and bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment