Friday, March 30, 2012

Tomato & Cucumber Salad

If you know me a bit, you probably know I'm a non-tomato lover.

Okay, I like tomatoes, but my tastebuds can't muster the bitterness of a raw tomato. If it's marinated, stewed, boiled, baked, or sauced, I'm good. And I love tomato sauces. But not raw, no way.

However, I'm 28 now. For goodness sake, I need to be able to eat a tomato without making a sour face. So, for the past six months, I have tried eating tomatoes here and there in salads and dishes so that I'm getting used to them. Let's continue this in a simple, crunchy tomato & cucumber salad. This salad took 4 minutes to prepare, less time than heating up a bag of frozen broccoli. And much tastier.

Tomato and Cucumber Salad
Servings: 6    Prep time: 4 minutes flat
2 cucumbers
2 roma tomatoes
2 TB balsamic vinegar
1 TB apple cider vinegar (optional, sweet kick)
1 TB olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed black pepper

step one: Slice cucumbers lengthwise in half, and then slice into thin "moon" shapes.
step two: After removing the seeds, slice the tomatoes into small bites (not chopped).
step three: Add remaining ingredients and toss until cucumbers and tomatoes are coated.
Serve cold as a side dish.  

Happy wonderful weekend, dears, and be sure to check back for some more food fun!

Happy eating! Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment