Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sam's Birthday Treats

Sam, our dog, is pretty awesome.
I know, you might have a dog or cat or mouse whom you think is the most awesome, and that's all well and fine. I'm certainly not PETA pet owner of the year, but I love our little spotted dog. He is half playful and half snoring lap dog. Sam is a bundle of fun that loves his treats, too. OF COURSE, don't we all love treats?

For Sam's 5th bday this year, I thought it would be fun to make him some little natural treats. Turns out, I had all of the ingredients at home to make peanut butter banana swirl treats. Actually, the recipe is similar to a banana bread recipe that I like to make. Sorry, I digress. I found a site that had quite a few dog food recipes, and this one looked like fun. It took a little time, but it was fun to roll these little jewels for Sam. And, since our dog is small (16 pounds), I STILL have treats for him, a month later. When I rolled the swirls together, I made 4 sections and froze three of them. When he's running low on treats, I just take out a roll, let it thaw a bit, slice it up and bake it. Really easy. I sliced these treats pretty thin, so there was actually enough dough to make about 80 treats for little Sam. WAY cheaper than treats from the store--bonus!



Pooch Peanut Butter Swirls
 
Adapted from here

Dough #1: 2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 egg

Combine all #1 ingredients and mix thoroughly. Knead on a lightly floured surface. Set aside.
Dough #2:
 2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup mashed banana
1 egg white
2/3 cup water
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
 1 Tbsp. honey
 1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Combine all #2 ingredients and mix thoroughly. Knead on a lightly floured surface.

Roll each dough separately to a 1/8 inch thickness, into rectangles. Place the dark dough on top, then roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap the roll in plastic and chill in the freezer for one hour. (You can make 4 smaller rolls and freeze the other three for later.) Cut the roll into 1/4 inch slices. Place them on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Yield: 56 pieces 

Happy treating!
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment