Saturday, June 18, 2011

Burrrritos

Oh my word, it's been a long time since I've blogged. I spent 4 days in Houston, cleaning out cookbooks galore, incredible books, pictures, and all sorts of things from my beloved grandmother's home. 89 years of life not only means many memories, but she also had so many souvenirs that took my mom and me on the adventures that she experienced through life. Some notables: a couple of classic books from the 1800s, some handwritten family recipes and a REALLY OLD cornbread skillet that I'll use soon. It was fun!

And I ate, of course, so much...

Jazz Brunch at Chelsea Grill in Montrose. Ah, challah french toast.

And coming back home was fun, too.  
Matt, who usually dislikes yogurt, liked this milkshake!
Homemade strawberry milkshakes
*Makes 2 large milkshakes*
1 1/2 cups lowfat ice cream/yogurt
1/4 cup plain yogurt
Splash of skim milk (or almond, soy, coconut)
1 cup ice cubes
Dash of cinnamon
1 cup fresh fruit (Pick 2: 5strawberries, handful blueberries, 1 banana, 1/2 cup melon, 1 peeled/sliced peach)  

Blend all ingredients, add more ice & plain yogurt until reaching desired thickness.  Sip and smile.



black bean burrrritos
Something healthy, filling, easy to reheat for work, and QUICK!

2 cans black beans, drained and rinse once
1 can sweet corn
1 can Rotel tomatoes (I used mild), draining only 1/2 of liquid
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of crushed red pepper
Dash of salt and pepper


In a large saucepan or wok, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, reduce to medium heat and cover.

Cook for 20 minutes. Stir and serve on tortillas or chips as nachos. Ole!
  Happy Weekend! I'll bring more goodies soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment