Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sugarfied Cereal

I'm a recovering CEREAL ADDICT. 

There have been more days than I care to admit where I've eaten a bowl of cereal for more than one meal. Then, one day, I realized I hadn't had a giant bowl of gloriousness in over a week! What in the world?

I do not discriminate when it comes to cereal, from sugary frosted flakes, to unsweetened bran, to Kashi of all flavors, to anything with cinnamon. But look what I found in the store the other day!  (Rice Krispies Treats cereal!)

With all of my weird stomachaches, I've made the switch to non-dairy milk, and it makes cereal all that much better. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk pairs quite amazingly with Rice Krispies Treats cereal. I mean, really, the heavens have opened and a cereal made out of a DESSERT was created! I love it! It had been a while, and this crispy sweet treat was gone in about 3 days. (Yes, I know.)

What is your favorite cereal? Do you make your own? Here are some of ours:

Ginger granola (Whole Foods)
Cinnamon granola with raspberries and blueberries
Kashi Strawberry Fields
Strawberry Frosted Mini Wheats
Golden Grahams
Cascadian Farm Organic anything (which have been $1/box at Wal-Mart lately)

Here's a fun cereal to add to your breakfast routine.


Crunchy Oat Granola (COG)
4 cups granola
1 cup grain (rice puffs, kamut puffs, cheerios)
1 cup roughly chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, or another grain)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2--2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (less if you want it crunchier)
1/4 cup agave syrup

1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. 
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil and spread mixture on top. 
3) Bake for 20 minutes, shaking slightly halfway into baking to make sure mixture is not burning.




USES FOR GRANOLA:
--Cereal
--Topper for yogurt, cooked oatmeal, ice cream, fresh fruit, cobbler, pudding, cakes/cookies, sweeter cold soups (like carrot ginger soup).
--In a trail mix
--In a smoothie
--Layered in a fruit/yogurt parfait
--With nut butter (sprinkled in a peanut butter banana sandwich, spread with almond butter on an English muffin)
--Sprinkled on top of jam on a bagel









No comments:

Post a Comment