Friday, February 3, 2012

To Savor the Day

Good morning!

Yes, I'll admit it. I woke up at 9:30. Mmm, nice. I'm leaving with a group from my internship tomorrow to go to the Dominican Republic. I'm excited! The flight's at 7:30 in the a.m. And I'm also a little sad. I'm going to miss Matt and Sam, since this is the longest Matt and I have been apart (8 days) and certainly the first time we haven't been in the same country. But adventures make you stronger and will get us excited to see each other again. (Pathetic? Possibly.)

We had a day together yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it...shopping, lounging, eating and playing with Sam...it was a good day. We also tried out some fun places, too!


 Dillard's Clearance Center
We didn't really know what to expect when we pulled up to an abandoned mall (named Six Flags, ha) with a giant Dillard's attached and the only mall shop with its doors still open. But, oh Lordy, it was like a giant clearance clothes party! Technically, they have men/women/kids' clothing, shoes, and housewares, too, but who's counting? We entered through the men's clothing doors, and my dorky laughing ensued as we passed racks and racks of Dillard's markdowns...not like one rack of polos for guys but 6 long aisles. For places that lack a lot of men's clothing variety (20% of the store for men, 88% for women) :), this is the place for guys to feel important, style-wise. I kept giggling during our entire time there, referring to the "men's swim trunks room," the "women's scarves room" and the "women of the night shoe rooms." (Sorry, the last one is only inferring that ladies parading under the moon have steel ankles that can handle 8-inch stilettos.)

Cowboy Chicken
I was craving some comfort food, which I know is equivalent to "not healthy." We don't really cook this kind of food at home (mostly because I rarely buy real butter...Paula Deen has just gasped) because it's just not that great for you. But it was fun to indulge this once. Cowboy Chicken, a Dallas chain of rotisserie chicken happiness, was where we went. It was DELISH! They roast hormone- and antibiotic-free chicken, so I enjoyed it thoroughly. For $16, we got a whole rotis. chicken and two large sides. We chose twice baked potato casserole (oh, yessss) and creamed spinach (Matt adored it, very cheesy). And we went all out with a large peach cobbler on the side...it tasted so much like my Aunt Helen's cobbler...cinnamony, soft peaches, buttery soft crust, and a brown butter/caramel top. Mm-hmm.

So now it's time to go and enjoy the day with my hubby, two days in a row! No recipes today, but I promise to put up lots of pics from the DR next week. Happy weekend and Joyful Living!

No comments:

Post a Comment