Happy Saturday afternoon!
Today included sleeping in and having a little brunch. Our take on the classic diner special...the egg sandwich.
Blue Plate Special!
On this quick sandwich, we cooked to eggs over hard, added salt, pepper and a little dried cilantro. We had some organic farm cheese (tastes like mild cheddar) on hand and I added some spinach leaves for a little green. Quick and easy!
Happy Egg Sammie
makes 2 sammies
4 eggs (with or without yolks)
Dash of salt, pepper, and cilantro/basil/rosemary (pick one!)
4 slices of wheat (or your fave whole grain) bread
4 small slices of cheese
handful of spinach leaves
1. Toast the bread. Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
2. While bread is toasting, crack the eggs in the skillet (I sprayed with Pam). Let cook until the eggs are not runny and solidify. Split eggs into 2 parts, one for each sammie. Flip over and let cook on the other side for a few minutes.
3. Assemble sammie with spinach, cheese, eggs and the top piece of toast. Enjoy!
On the side, we needed a non-boring/healthy choice. So I cut up an apple into quarters and sprinkled:
- cinnamon on two pieces
- ground ginger on one piece
- and paprika on a piece
- cinnamon--always good
- ginger--different, but a nice flavor on the tart apples
- paprika--okay, but smoked paprika would've been better; it's like smoky with sweet (a la barbecue sauce)
Hope your Saturday is bright and sunny...send some sunlight to Dallas, please. :)