Thursday, September 19, 2013

Cleaning Tips

CLEANING.

Not my calling. Not my strength. Not even close.

But I'm trying to get better...organizing and cleaning does NOT come easily for me, even though I always love the end result of cleaning or cleaning out something. It does my mental health so much good when my car is clear of clutter, when the kitchen is spotless, even when there is not one item of dirty laundry in the house. Does it feel good for you, too?

Odds are, you are a better cleaner or organizer than me, but we all go through phases in life when we're particularly 'good' or mindful of certain things and, as a result, other things get pushed to the back burner. Life is full of lessons and learning, right? Below are a few cleaning tips I found online that 1) were not my idea! and 2) things I actually tested to see if they work! Keep reading...


 Explosive Showerhead Cleaner
I found this and had to try it. Our upstairs showerhead is old and corroded. Ick. It makes showering either very weak or like a powerwasher...ouch. We had a bottle of white vinegar and some baking soda around...why not try it?
  • 1/3 cup baking soda + 1 cup white vinegar + 1 quart Ziploc bag + a twisty tie/rubber band
  • In the Ziploc bag, pour in the baking soda. Then, slowly pour in the vinegar (it will bubble up quickly, so pour SLOWLY). Put the bag over the showerhead (see photo) and secure with a twisty tie/rubber band. Let sit for 2-3 hours. Remove bag and presto! Your showerhead will be clean and unclogged!  
  • Yay or Nay? YAY! It works! And we saved about $30 on having to buy a new showerhead.  
Coffee Filter to Clean LCD Screens
  • 1 coffee filter + 1 dusty screen(s)
  • Gently rub the filter across your screen a few times; the paper will clear the dust from television, computer, phone, or tablet screens.
  • Yay or Nay?  Eh...it kind of works, but not fabulously. There is still a little dust left behind. The little microfiber cloths for lenses work so much better, plus they're reusable and washable. Stick to those.
Baking Soda as a Stain Cleaner 
I do love my tea in my favorite mug...it has shoes and purses on it and is cream and pink. Silly, I know, but it makes me happy when I drink from it. Unfortunately, my English breakfast tea from England(!) [for real] is super dark and stains my mug after awhile. I've needed this little gem! 
  • Sponge + 1 TB baking soda
  • On a damp sponge, sprinkle on the baking soda. Scrub on the stained area and rinse clean. Voila! 60 seconds to daily tea happiness.
  • Yay or Nay?  Yay! It works! Now to have my 3rd spot of tea today...
Dryer Sheet to Beat Soap Scum
  • Used dryer sheet + few drops of water
  • Putting a few drops of water on a used dryer sheet, rub the sheet all over your tub/shower wall or glass door. The soap scum should release instantly.
  • Yay or Nay? Yay! This works well for maintaining the tub/shower. However, if you live in an area with very highly mineral-prone [hard] water or haven't done a deep clean in a while, I wouldn't only rely on this method.
Rubber Glove to Remove Pet Hair from your Couch
  •  I'll have to get back to you on this one, although it sorta grosses me out. 
Cleaning a Coffeemaker with Vinegar 
  • Vinegar's acidity will break down the minerals and other gunk that build up in your coffee filter. All technical terms, of course.
  • Yay or Nay?  Yay! This actually works pretty well. (Plus, I think I'm 'unAmerican' if I don't believe in vinegar as a cleaning agent, heh.) Just be sure and run water through your coffeemaker a couple of times to ensure no vinegar is left...sour pickle juice coffee will brew if you don't!
 
  So, there you have it. Let's get clean(er). Good luck, friends. Food will follow next post, I promise. And I'll probably mess up the kitchen (again). :)
 
 
Happy cleaning!
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment