Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Creamy Non-dairy Potato Soup


I have the best of intentions, really I do.
  1. I narrow down 20 amazing pumpkin recipes to try. I end up making 1, maybe.
  2. I plan to do 4 loads of laundry on my day off. If I'm lucky, I take the baskets to the laundry room...or at least look at the clothes longingly, hoping they'll wash themselves.
  3. I map out a trail near our house for an hour-long run. Wait, where in the world are my running shoes? I haven't seen them in weeks.
Sometimes, things don't go as planned. Okay, most always things don't go as planned. For the last few fall/winter seasons, I plan on making batch after batch of yummy delicious soups. It has yet to happen. But today is a new day. And, with all that planning, sometimes we're the most productive when we make no plans or To-Do Lists at all. Today was one of those days.

I made potato soup. Creamy, dreamy, potato soup without a drop of milk or cream. And, since I was home all afternoon/evening, I really took my time with it (AKA Our Crockpot did all of the work.). 6 hours of slow cooking. And I'm pretty sure this is a recipe you can cook overnight or during the day while you're at work. EASY! Matt is pretty honest with my cooking (everyone needs honesty), but he usually leans on the side of sweet and positive. But he wanted me to specifically type this quote in the blog..."some of the best soup I've (he's) ever had" and "restaurant quality." Heh, he's sweet. I just thought it was darn easy and pretty tasty. And no planning was involved, just 2 trips to the store because I forgot chicken stock. Oh, woe is me.

Cozy Potato Soup

Ingredients: 1 yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
3 TB butter

6 russet or Idaho potatoes
7 cups reduced sodium chicken stock (or veggie or beef)
1 1/2 TB Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 t. sea salt (or to taste)

Utensils:
Slow cooker (medium to large sized)
Wooden spoon
Sautepan
Microwave
Microwave-safe bowl
Step One: Chop the onion and garlic. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes and set aside.

Step Two: Heat the pan on medium-high heat. Add the butter to the pan and coat the pan with the melted butter. Toss in the onions with a pinch of salt; cook for 2 minutes. Then, add the chopped garlic. Stir and let cook until soft and lightly browned, a few minutes. Pour 1-2 cups of the broth into the saute pan and stir around, allowing the broth to pick up all of the small bits at the bottom of the pan.

Step Three: Turn the slow cooker onto high. Transfer the broth mix to the slow cooker. Cover.

Step Four: In a microwave-safe bowl, cook the potatoes on high for 7-10 minutes or until tender to the touch. Transfer 1/2 of the potatoes to a blender (or large bowl and use an immersion blender) and blend potatoes until they become creamy thick mashed potatoes. Transfer the mashed potatoes to the slow cooker.

Step Five: Take the other 1/2 of the cut potatoes and pour into the slow cooker. Add the seasonings and the remaining stock. Stir and salt to taste. Let sit for at least an hour, covered, and serve piping hot.

OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
chopped chives
garlic powder
shredded cheese
thin zucchini slices
kale chips
sour cream
bacon/fake bacon/sausage
cooked broccoli
tortilla chip crumbles


NOTE: If you don't have Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute, just add a medley of your favorite savory spices. Ideas: onion powder, chili powder, basil, oregano, or even smoke flavoring.
  


Happy slurping!
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment