Friends, Portland is cold and wet and very Fall-y. It's so fall-y, that I'm convinced I've never experienced real fall until this year. Just imagine, going through 28 falls and it takes this one, the 29th, when I experience the real thing. You know...
- trees changing color
- trees becoming colors I've never seen before...yellow, golden, ruby red, pumpkin orange, and a strange puberty stage when they're half green/half red. It's cool, really.
- leaves everywhere. On the deck, the streets and driveways, falling in my hair. Big, small, wet and icky, crisp and vibrant colors.
- the need for many hoodies (b/c I always get more wet when trying to maneuver an umbrella in the rain) and even more dry socks.
- cold, crisp air that makes you want to eat everything pumpkin and apple-y in sight. (Don't worry, I've done this.)
I will admit, I love every seasonal Starbucks treat in existence. But I do not like the sugar headache afterward or the empty calories after the giant-big-as-my-face venti drink. Plus, all that whipped cream makes me swim in a dairy coma that leads to a tummy ache. Wow, do I really love those drinks? Is it worth it? Sometimes. But, when you want something with a little less fat/calories/sugar-coma and a little more money in your pocket, this Pumpkin Spice Frappe might be the next best thing.
Guilt-free Pumpkin Spice Frappe!
2 servings; 5 minutes to make (+ freeze time)
1 cup cool coffee
1 cup milk (of your choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 TB brown sugar (not packed)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (a dash)
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
What to do:
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until combined. Pour into 2 ice cube trays and freeze. (2 hours or more)
2. Once frozen, drop the cubes into the blender and blend until creamy. Serve in a glass with chocolate chips or whipped cream on top!
|1 serving of this tasty treat (without whipped cream or choc chips)|
This drink makes two servings, so you must share with a friend (or at least pace yourself and enjoy it two days in a row). Simple, easy, cheap, tasty. Hope you enjoy!!