Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Crunchy Carrot Salad

It has taken me a long time to develop a friendly relationship with carrot salad. I like creamy desserts but creamy "salads" and healthy do not go together much for me. I had never made carrot salad before but, thanks to SusanV's recipe, I was encouraged to try it. I wanted more crunchy, less creamy and more sweet, but less sugar. I definitely modified her recipe, but I thank her for the idea.

Crunchy Carrot Salad
1 pound of carrots, washed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 TB agave nectar
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup granola (optional, preferably with a little cinnamon or apple)

Time to make: 5 minutes; Time to eat: 5 minutes; Servings: 4
In a food processor, grate carrots. Of course, you can do it by hand, but the processor takes 1 minute flat.
Put the grated carrots in a medium bowl. Using a fork, stir in lemon juice, agave nectar, and raisins. Top with granola for extra crunch. 
Fridge for 30 minutes to let flavors set. But, if you can't wait like me, devour immediately.  

Yum!

Time for a slice of humble pie...
I found this great recipe for Chicken with Swiss Chard. I'd never cooked with chard, so I was excited. Matt was excited to eat it. It was a 
I know, it's horrible!
F
L
O
P.
The cooking went well, and I followed the recipe closely (a rarity). HOWEVER, we realized that neither of us like the taste of chard. It was too earthy. Maybe we'll try it again another time. But for dinner last night, we had the chicken and then some Blue Bell. (Matt got it to cheer me up...I haven't bought Blue Bell in quite a few years.) So there's our little run with chard. Next time, I'll have it at a restaurant. Any tips? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment