Friday, November 22, 2013

Thanksgiving Inspiration


People with food blogs have different ways to find inspiration. For me, I love to look through old recipe books. My grandmother clipped out recipes from newspapers, magazines, and had hundreds of handwritten recipes that either she created or copied from a friend or family member's wonderful dish. I cherish each and every one of those little slips of paper, and it's so fun to see her notes (always in beautiful penmanship) on how to alter a recipe or her comments on a perfect dish. That's my first go-to.

And, of course, I thank the Lord daily for this wonderful invention of the Internet(s). :) Never has it been easier for me to find an authentic Southern Italian pasta or an Ugandan peanut sauce until now. I am so thankful for a huge community of food bloggers who give their time, talent and creativity to share with others. It really is an amazing, open-minded network of people!

Each blogger is different but, for me, I'm not in a place to spend 4 hours a day on my blog. (There was a time when I did have that kind of time...oh, bliss.) But I do what I can, and I hope you like what you see. For every dish I blog about, there are probably 6 others that didn't make the blog. It's not that even my BEST dishes are blogged about, sometimes I just like to share when I have time and energy to share it! (But I do try to give you the best, trust me.) Aside from the 6 dishes you don't see, I might look at 20 different recipes of pumpkin bread before I decide how I'm going to try to make 'my' pumpkin bread. I respect the opinions of so many cooks out there but, for a thing like pumpkin bread, I don't have to test bake all 20 recipes to know which one is 'good.' (Not anymore, anyway.) I am by no means a professional in the kitchen, but I know enough in the kitchen to figure that out. But for some recipes, I do follow it to the letter (and I always source it), and that can be great to learn, too.

In saying all of that, here are some places where I'm formulating ideas for the week of Thanksgiving. I'm trying to keep it simple this year. My parents will be in town for a week, and I want to spend time with them, not with my face in an oven. If you need a little inspiration, trust me, these are some quality sources:

8 Bite-Sized Thanksgiving Recipes from The Kitchn (Keeping it simple with little tastes like Sausage, fennel & gruyere mini egg stratas and Mini sweet potato pies)

 65 Thankgiving Side Dishes from Shugary Sweets  (Note: Stuffins--stuffing muffins and Artichoke Parmesan Sourdough Stuffing

A Vegan Thanksgiving Menu from Oh She Glows. (Pumpkin garlic knots are amazing.)

Holidays are so stressful, I'd like to relax with a cocktail from Serious Eats.


That's what I've got for you. Happy weekend/Friday!





 



Happy eating! Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment