Friday, March 22, 2013

Mochanut Cookies

You like that word, Mochanut?

Yeah, I made it up. A LOOOONNNG season of being MIA on this lovely blog means I must come up with a new word. And the definition:
Mo-cha-nut [moh-kuh-nuht, -nuht], noun  
1. the combination of espresso powder, semi-sweet chocolate, and shredded coconut into the perfect  trifecta of awesome happiness for your tastebuds
2. Hawaii, in cookie form
3. If you don't care for Hawaii, insert your favorite dream vacation land and add ", in cookie form"

But enough about definitions and textbooks and whatnot....let's make some cookies!


Proof that I didn't eat ALL of the cookie dough..
 mochanut cookies
barely adapted from Annie
makes 3 dozen small cookies
not too sweet, not too rich. these cookies are breakfast-worthy with a little coffee. they're also perfect for a grab-and-go sweet treat.

3½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt
3 tbsp. espresso powder (or fine coffee grounds...no joke)
1 stick margarine + 1 stick butter at room temp
¾ cup brown sugar (not packed)
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut  (I used unsweetened)

step one: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients (flour to coffee). Set aside.

step two: In a second bowl, combine butters, sugars and eggs. Use a mixer if you like. Stir well, until all combined. Add in the two extracts.

step three: Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined. Lastly, add the chocolate chips and coconut. Stir! 

step four: Drop by rounded tablespoons on a non-stick baking mat or cookie sheet. 12 will fit on a sheet. If you'd like giant cookies, get out an ice cream scoop. Either size, flatten cookies down with the back of a fork so they'll cook more evenly. (This dough will be thick, friends.)

step five: Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, or until cookies are cooked through but soft to the touch. Try not to burn your fingers or mouth while devouring. Unleash your inner cookie monster! :) 

There you have it. A cookie recipe with the trifecta. Be sure to share with others. And now for some updates...

1. We moved. It's a fun old house on a church campus. And a new job came with it that I'm really enjoying. And the wonder that is Oregon means that it's sunny, hailing and rainy all at the same time. But it's okay...I'm totally distracted by the AMAZING SPRING BLOOMS everywhere! I don't know what most of the plants/flowers/trees/shrubs are called, but I'm thoroughly enjoying them. Every day I see a new bit of pink, purple, white or yellow that is a new bloom in our neighborhood. Here are a couple of recognizable ones right outside my door...


 2. My mom took me to Israel. Our group was amazing, and it was truly the trip of a lifetime. I'm ready to go back with Matt! It is the only trip I've taken that I don't have words to describe it...a pilgrimage. Yes, that works. I'll tell more later. And it was beautiful. Here's the Sea of Galilee (outside of our hotel room): 


Shamrock Shake? Yeah, I had 1/2 of one...those things are huge! Happy (belated) St. Patty's Day! 
 Okay, that's enough updating. Bye for now, friends! It's great to be back.
 



Happy eating! 
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment